
Over my past summer, my main mission the for entire summer vacay was to ''frame'' an issue. A preety big issue, as it seems to be. Although conceptually, solving an issue seems preety straight forward, the reality is that most people don't do it well. Well lets just say I was quite naive and thought I ruled the world at 21.
Yet it was a challenge I am prepared to go into battle with. Being the so-called young new manager leading a diversely talented team of 8 can be a problem when one minor issue errupts like a profligate volcano. How it all started?
Let's just say in general, individuals tend to focus on their own particular needs and on matter relating to their specific areas of expertise. In doing so, they may be blinded of the details that actually matter for the responsibilities they were assigned to.
The only way out was by reframing the issue, in hope to instil clarity into complexity.
First, to circumvent the obstacles at hand.
Second, correct the disconnects (in my case the bad apple).
And most importantly, changing the style, change the frame. (everyone has got a style they feel suited to, so order to successfully frame the situation, I've got to learn to adapt to diverse styles of commucation)
I dare not call myself an effective ''framer'' but I guess this special skill can be learned and strengthen with dicipline and effort. However, I dare say the real challenge in this is when your faced with the unexpected. New information and unforeseen circumstances can be quite a sheepsload to deal with.
The greatest lesson I have experienced, is no matter what happens, happens. Embrace and persevere. Keep the purpose and your audience foremost in mind so you can thoughtfully frame a response that furthers your goals — thus strengthens your leadership.
And for that I thank you, to the people who push and guided me through. I am stronger today.
No comments:
Post a Comment