Friday, September 08, 2006



...she looked from the girl to Max and back again and was horrified to hear herself emit a sort of howl, like a dying animal. She had to get out of there. But there was nowhere else to go. A solid wall of photographers hemmed her in on all the sides....

..."No, leave it," Max said, pushing past Hunter and barring his way. "this is between me and Sienna. I'll go." He stepped inside. At first he couldn't see her. It was gloomy with the doors shut and all the lights out, and his eyes took a moment to adjust form the glaring sunshine outside. But then he heard a stifled sob and saw a tiny figure curled up in a ball at the foot of the pulpit, half hidden by a vast spray of white bridal lilies....

..."Go away!" she wailed as she heard footsteps approaching. "Please. I just want to be alone." The footsteps kept coming, louder and louder, with a firm male tread. When she looked up it was Max, she put her head in her hand and moaned even louder. He squatted down on his haunches beside her and waited for her to look up at him. When she did, her beautiful dark blue eyes were still wet and glistening with tears, and she was bitting down her lower lip to prevent it from trembling. She looked ten years old again....


..."Please dont say it any more," she implored him. "I don't want your pity! I know what I look like now, and I know who I am, all right? And, and..." she stammered. "Sienna," he tried to interrupt her, but she knew if she didn't say this now, she would never find the strength again.....

..."I brought her because ..." he hesitated. "Well, because I thought I might need a shoulder to cry on. Moral support. Or something."Because I knew I'd be seeing you again. And i didn't know if i could handle it." There is no one else, Sienna"...

No comments: